Welcome to The Marimba Workshop
The MARIMBA is one of those truly African instruments which is easily accessible to anyone and everyone. Children from as young as five and six can play.
The MARIMBA provides the perfect accompaniment to dancing and singing as well as being a marvellous solo instrument. Together with a variety of percussion instruments the MARIMBA BAND can play anything from traditional African, township jazz, pop, classical music and everything in-between!
The beauty of this instrument is that NO previous music knowledge is necessary and within a short space of time groups of learners are playing together like seasoned musicians. The instrument sells itself! Every learner exposed to the instrument wants to play, wants to learn! What a joy for any educator and every performer!
The 6th EDUCATION AFRICA INTERNATIONAL MARIMBA AND STEEL PAN FESTIVAL will be taking place in South Africa on the 29th and 30th July 2017. Schools and bands from all over South Africa and Internationally are invited to participate. This has a number of purposes:
- It gives those learners who are NOT sporty the opportunity to be competitive in another area.
- It raises the profile of the schools and bands involved.
- It exposes bands to many other styles of music and performance.
- It is a wonderful NATION-BUILDING and SOCIAL COHESION tool as it brings people from all socio-economic backgrounds together with one main purpose in mind : to make music together.
- As an International Marimba and Steelpan Festival all participants will be elevated to the International Arena.
- There are wonderful prizes to be won.
See: www.internationalmarimbafestival.org for all details. Registration for the 2017 Festival will open in November 2016.