Introductory workshops for beginners are offered regularly by Joan Lithgow who is an experienced marimba teacher. These workshops are fun-filled and cover all you need to know to start teaching marimbas in the classroom using a well thought-out and fool-proof teaching methodology. At the end of a 5-hour workshop you will have enough material and know-how for at least a term’s work!
Graded on-going workshops are offered where new music, advanced playing techniques, ideas to enhance your sound with additional percussion instruments and simple improvisational skills are introduced.
Workshops can also be custom-designed to suit the client.
Additional workshops are also available on:
- HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN PERCUSSION INSTRUMENTS
- FUN ACTIVITIES TO USE IN YOUR MUSIC CLASSROOM
- HOW TO CHOOSE THE RIGHT INSTRUMENT FOR YOUR CHILD
- FUN IDEAS USING BOOM-WHACKERS IN THE CLASSROOM
- GAMES TO PLAY IN THE MUSIC CLASSROOM
- CHANTS AND POETRY IN THE CLASSROOM
- AN INTRODUCTION TO AFRICAN INSTRUMENTS
- BASIC MUSIC THEORY MADE SIMPLE FOR THE PRIMARY SCHOOL CLASSROOM
We also offer TEAM-BUILDING workshops using marimbas and music.
24 REASONS WHY EVERY CHILD NEEDS TO LEARN TO PLAY THE MARIMBA
- No prior knowledge or musical experience is needed.
- Teachers/facilitators can be trained within a relatively few hours and learners are able to play a piece of music in their very first lesson.
- Players can advance from beginners to fantastic performers within a short space of time.
- Concentration skills are greatly enhanced and worked upon when learning to play marimbas.
- Self-confidence and self-esteem are greatly boosted as there is a part for every child to play, regardless of ability.
- Playing music together is a team effort! Each and every member of the team is equally important.
- Because of the recommended technique of playing marimbas: hand to hand/ alternating hands—both sides of the brain are being exercised equally. This does not often happen in many other activities.
- Because it is recommended that hands are alternated all the time, crossing of the midline becomes second nature.
- Listening skills are greatly enhanced when playing marimbas: players need to play absolutely together to create a piece of music.
- Through various games and exercises learners’ aural training skills may be developed.
- The science of sound production can be demonstrated and studied through the marimba.
- Through singing and spelling games on the marimba, language skills and spelling is improved.
- It is a known fact that maths and music are inter-related. Marimba music is strongly based on patterning: maths is also full of patterning. It goes without saying that the one helps and reinforces the other.
- The bars on the marimba are fairly wide so learners with poor fine-motor coordination are still able to play with ease.
- Physically and mentally challenged individuals can play marimbas and be part of a marimba band.
- Fine- and gross-motor coordination are constantly being worked on when the learners are playing marimbas.
- Learners who do not have dexterity in their fingers for whatever reason often find it difficult, if not impossible, to play a melodic musical instrument. The marimba offers these learners the opportunity to play a melodic instrument.
- The nature of the music for marimbas is such that there are very easy parts and then there are parts that are graded according to abilities.
- By using dummy keyboards in the classroom every learner is focused on playing at the same time. This alleviates discipline problems.
- With imagination, patience and a sense of fun the music classroom is transformed into a magical soundscape.
- All genres of music can be played on marimbas.
- The marimba is a robust, low maintenance, portable instrument that does not need electricity to operate!
- The instruments sell themselves in the classroom and EVERYONE wants to play!
- There are lovely maths games that can be combined with marimbas to encourage and enhance maths learning.
WHY YOU SHOULD CHOOSE TO USE THE MARIMBA WORKSHOP MARIMBAS?
- Hand-made with quality materials by an experienced craftsman.
- Tuned electronically by experienced tuners.
- Designed by Orff specialists who understand music teaching in the classroom.
- The only marimbas manufactured in the country where the bars may be
interchanged to change keys. All other marimbas manufactured can only play in
C and G.
- Excellent after-sales service.
- The instruments are durable and easily stored and transported.
- Bags may be bought to store the notes when not in use or to transport them when
the band plays at functions.
- Covers are available to keep the marimbas in tip-top shape.
- Regular marimba courses are offered by an experienced marimba teacher.
- These marimbas are incredibly user-friendly and can be used in classrooms from
grade 0 to grade 12.
- A pre-school programme using these marimbas is available.
- Three children can play on one combination instrument at the same time. Two
children can play on the bass at the same time. This cuts down on space required.
- Dummy keyboards are available to engage all the children in the lesson at the same time.
- There are over 500 marimbas made by the Marimba Workshop in the country.